High Street Hijabis

Home Forums Events and event planning High Street Hijabis

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tat Ruck Tat Ruck 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Rose Gander
    Rose Gander
    Participant

I watched the link and I enjoyed seeing young women talk about fashion. All the young women looked great and I had no idea of the different styles of Hijabs. I was wondering what their families made of the different colours and styles and was interested in the conversation with the more orthodox Muslim woman.
    I like to make eye contact with people I meet in everyday life, including when I walk past them. It is difficult to meet the eyes of women wearing full head veils. Smiling works but only if the other person looks my way too. This happens with non Muslim people too. When I was younger people who passed each other, would look at each other with interest and mostly, kindness. It is my ambition to carry this on! So if you see a grinning very tall woman on the streets of Exeter – please smile back at me!

Profile photo of Tat Ruck
      Tat Ruck
      Participant

@rosegander – I certainly will! I live up a lane and there is no way I would walk past someone without saying “hello” – it’s a habit that carries over. Actually, I was in London a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how many people smiled back.

Profile photo of Nicole Redfern
    Nicole Redfern
    Participant

Great, thanks for posting @tatruck! I can’t wait to watch this. It’ll definitely feed some thinking for the project!

Profile photo of Tat Ruck
    Tat Ruck
    Participant

There’s a short film available on iplayer at the moment. It features Nicola Roberts (from Girls Aloud) and a group or young British Muslims talking about modesty and dress. Really interesting – and very relevant for us as @nicoleredfern plans our Exploring changing fashion project!

High Street Hijabis

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.