Reading group – online discussion!

Home Forums Language teaching and learning Reading group – online discussion!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tat Ruck Tat Ruck 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Hi!I was join last group! It is excellent course! You can learn all skill of English!

Hi Everyone!

Today start new reading group 2 – 4 pm , but I’d like if is absolutely necessary that my english can be so good? I’m learning english and I’m trying improve my english every day. This grup is good for me?

I will be glad know you opinion

Greetings

Ana Laura Hernández Vásquez

Profile photo of Tat Ruck
      Tat Ruck
      Participant

Hi @ana-laura2015 – sorry for late response – I have been at another event all this morning. I am sure you will be welcomed at the reading group – @paulvass is the leader.

Profile photo of Eren
    Eren
    Participant

Hi Tat.
    thanks for this reading group. I couldn’t continue to went to my cauntry.I came back.
    see you next group

Tat Ruck
    Participant

Hi @francescopistillo
    No – the final week was last week.

Profile photo of FRANCESCO PISTILLO
    FRANCESCO PISTILLO
    Participant

Hi, I had a problem with my pc and I couldn’t do anything. Is there a class this Wednesday?

1.What is the theme of this story?
    The main theme of Louise had fired of heart disease.why,she felt the broke sentences with monstrous joy.
    2.This story was written more than a hundred years ago.Do you think it is still relevant today?
    That is no fact but fiction,but I believe in the existence of ghosts (soul).
    3.What is your favorite word or phrase in this story?
    My favorite is vacant stare with monstrous joy.
    4.Can you summurise the story in two sentences?
    Louise was heart trouble who told her husband’s death that alone went away to open window.
    She recognized as hers husband who felt the vacant stare with monstrous joy then her pulses beat fast,who joy that kills.

Tat Ruck
    Participant

This week we read “The Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin. You can read the story online by clicking on the link.

@francescopistillo, @sunsi, @eva, @eren, @veramaltby @minl, @paulwhittaker

What is the theme of this story?
    This story was written more than a hundred years ago. Do you think it is still relevant today?
    What is your favourite word or phrase in this story?
    Can you summarise the story in two sentences? (This is hard!)

The homework was to read “The Silk Stockings” by the same author.

Loom forward to seeing you next week!

Did you like this story?
    It is wonderful story for me.

What was the meaning in the context of this story?
    They are lived by laboring of work but they do good business working.
    they are have trouble but do not give up.
    this story for me think more encourage of life……

Tat Ruck
    Participant

Great analysis @veramaltby. I loved this story – it appears to be so simple, but there is so much more going on. Can you think of any short stories written by Russian writers that might be good for the group? (in translation of course!)

Profile photo of Vera  Maltby
    Vera Maltby
    Participant

What do you think of it?
    It a very subtle story . Stories inside of a story.The plot is made up of the simple casual events. But when you come to the end of the story it leaves you with a sad feeling that real life is not so simple as a market is . It is spectacular tragic.

Did you find any new words or phrases?
    to dash; to poke , to smooth down a dress

Can you summarise the story in 5 sentences?
    1Someone came to the marketplace to take some pictures because a souk is supposed to be full of vivid colours and striking spicy aromas. 2 Instead if it he learned the the market is a book consists of different people’s sad life stories.3The dress seller who ran away from home; the scrap seller who is very proud of his honest father; the little onion seller who hides his hands. 4 Their stories are their pictures . 5 The only thing for narrator to do is to go to the park and take pictures of gosling . No more ideas in my head . sooooryyy

Tat Ruck
    Participant

Well done Lin – you wrote a good summary! Did you like this story? “Mixed up” is a great phrase as it can mean different things. What was the meaning in the context of this story?

@francescopistillo, @sunsi, @eva, @eren, @veramaltby @minl – what do you think? @paulwhittaker – please feel free to join in!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Tat Ruck Tat Ruck.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Tat Ruck Tat Ruck.

What do you think of it?
    There is a mingling of good and evil of market.If explored it that you have some surprise.

Did you find any new words or phrases?

New words-harvest,embarrass,astonish………
    Phrases-mixed up,blood feud

Can you summarise the story in 5 sentences?
    It was warm spring morning.the camera guy dashed into the marketplace who hoping take some interesting picture but the guy met to varied people.
    Young man wearing a dress making people laugh but he don’t like take picture.he was a shepherd.his dad premise some guy who wanted him to get mixed up in some blood feud.so he ran away found jobs put on show to make some money.he scared stiff knowing so moving and moving.
    The selling scrap guy:his family is collected junk material form rubbish tips.his father got a 2,000 lira reword the other day.a woman had her bag snatched by thieves who his father found then return to her,because she had some important document .
    The onion boy:he don’t like you take picture.he working under the sun long time so he have freackles all over face. told him”cutting onion has ruin his hands”.last two years he lost a lot of money but this year harvest is great.
    THe guy just left everything there walked off toward the park to take photos of the goslings waddling.

Tat Ruck
    Participant

As I promised, here is a thread for us to talk about the stories we’ve read in the reading group.
    So – reading group, follow the discussion to join in and see replies.

@francescopistillo, @sunsi, @eva, @eren, @veramaltby

Have you read “At the market place” yet? What do you think of it? Did you find any new words or phrases? Can you summarise the story in 5 sentences?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.